Oct 11, 2012

Chicken Taco Meat

I am a well intentioned blogger. That doesn't always mean I am a disciplined blogger. I have also discovered that if I take photos on my real camera, I am likely to leave said camera in the car. (For weeks on end.) Which means that my photos never get uploaded, which means you never get the recipes I promise. And so, I've decided you will just have to cope with less than stellar photos.

I learned this recipe from a good friend, who terrifies me in the kitchen. You know the kind, the one who can make something delicious out of anything? She used to own and run her own Mexican restaurant. She could probably go on Iron Chef and win. Me? I'm still trying to figure out spices. Being able to use them without measuring (and still have it turn out delicious) is way beyond me. So I'm sorry that I don't have precise measurements/times. When I asked her for more details she just gave me a funny look.


You need: a couple of chicken breasts, a diced onion, a diced bell pepper, a clove of garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, canned tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper, water, and two pans.

First you bring the chicken breasts, 1/4 of a diced onion, salt, pepper, and water to a boil. Cook until the chicken looks cooked all the way through. Drain the water. Shred the chicken. (My favorite trick for shredding chicken is to throw the hot chicken into your mixer. It literally falls to pieces and it is super quick.)

In a seperate pan add the diced bell pepper, 1/2 diced onion, and a clove of garlic in some olive oil to brown. When everything looks and smells delicious add 28 oz. of canned tomatoes with 1/2 tsp. of oregano and a dash of salt and pepper. Let it simmer for a while then add the shredded chicken to the mix. Let everything simmer for a couple of minutes until the chicken soaks up all the flavor. Turn off the heat. Combine chicken meat with your favorite taco mixings and make lots of people's stomaches happy. (My favorite part of the meal.)

Do you still have that 1/4 of an onion left? Want to use it to make something to add to the meal? Heat up one can of rinsed black beans. Add the 1/4 of a diced onion and a clove of garlic. Simmer for a couple of minutes. When the onions looked cooked pour everything into a blender. Blend it all together for your own refried beans. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This chicken is easy to make, it freezes well, and is very versatile. You can use it in tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, and more. You will be super glad you tried it. I promise.

No comments: