While I get most of my recipes from Pinterest, occasionally I venture into allrecipes.com. I love that there are hundreds of reviews and different ways of preparing a particular dish. I ALWAYS read the comments because they tell you a lot.
I started off with this recipe and changed it to fit my needs and the advice of the commenters.
Cheese Loaded Turkey Meatloaf:
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. italian bread crumbs ***
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 an onion diced
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 dashes of worchestcheir sauce
- 1/2 lb. colby jack cheese in small cubes
- Ketchup/BBQ sauce for the top
Pour the milk over the breadcrumbs. Let it sit for a minute. This helps your breadcrumbs stay moist and tender.
Preheat oven to 400*
Place everything but the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with your hands.
Fold in the cheese and shape the mixture into 2 loaf pans.
Pour BBQ or ketchup on top. I tried both and found the BBQ tasted better.
Place in oven for an hour.
Make sure your loaf reaches an internal temperature of 165*.
** The large amount of cheese in this recipe doesn't exactly make it healthy. But we are a work in progress.
*** I did not have italian breadcrumbs on hand so I found this recipe online to make them at home. Super easy and delicious.
Italian Bread Crumbs:
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder I didn't have this either. The onions in the meatloaf seemed adequate for flavor.
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil