Sep 23, 2013

Cheese Loaded Turkey Meatloaf

One of my new favorite things is to sneak ground turkey in the place of hamburger. My husband can't tell the difference and I feel like we are eating healthier** and spending less money.  A win-win in my book. Plus I love his shocked face when I tell him he just ate turkey.

While I get most of my recipes from Pinterest, occasionally I venture into allrecipes.com. I love that there are hundreds of reviews and different ways of preparing a particular dish. I ALWAYS read the comments because they tell you a lot.

I started off with this recipe and changed it to fit my needs and the advice of the commenters.

Cheese Loaded Turkey Meatloaf:

  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 c. italian bread crumbs ***
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1/2 an onion diced
  • 2 lbs. ground turkey
  • 2 dashes of worchestcheir sauce
  • 1/2 lb. colby jack cheese in small cubes
  • Ketchup/BBQ sauce for the top
Pour the milk over the breadcrumbs. Let it sit for a minute. This helps your breadcrumbs stay moist and tender.
Preheat oven to 400*
Place everything but the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with your hands. 
Fold in the cheese and shape the mixture into 2 loaf pans.
Pour BBQ or ketchup on top. I tried both and found the BBQ tasted better. 
Place in oven for an hour. 
Make sure your loaf reaches an internal temperature of 165*.
Enjoy.

*The large amount of cheese in this recipe doesn't exactly make it healthy. But we are a work in progress.
*** I did not have italian breadcrumbs on hand so I found this recipe online to make them at home. Super easy and delicious.  

Italian Bread Crumbs:

  • 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder I didn't have this either. The onions in the meatloaf seemed adequate for flavor.
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil      
Mix all ingredients together.


 

No comments: