Sep 28, 2012

White Bean Chicken Chili

I'm sure this recipe has been around for a while, but I was only introduced to it last year. Since then I have made it pretty regularly. Mr. WB doesn't mind as long as I keep it to soup once a week. I personally could live off soup every day. He can not. A small fact I learned rather quickly in our marriage.

The reason I love this soup? It is super easy. Trust me! The hardest part is getting all cans open. Especially if you have one of those "safe" can openers that make you go around 3 times.


What you need:
2 chicken breasts, cooked & cubed (missing from my picture, but included)
2 cans of northern white beans, rinsed
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of green chilis
1 can of chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

1 c. sour cream (I substituted greek yogurt)
1/2 c. heavy cream * 

Open all the cans; rinse the beans, drain the corn, and add everything (minus the creams) into your pot. Let the mixture simmer for a couple of minutes so the flavors soak together. Lower the heat and add the two creams. Keep the heat on low until the whole pot is nice and warm. Do not boil this soup. (Cream is not meant to be boiled.) Dish up and enjoy!

It makes enough to feed 3-4 adults, so it is perfect for inviting over another couple for dinner. I love to serve this soup with bread and a side salad. If I am feeling very adventurous they get dessert too. Tonight we settled for oreos and milk because Oreos just turned 100 and you know we had to celebrate. 

* I used a substitute recipe since I almost never have heavy cream on hand. For one cup of heavy cream combine a 3/4 cup of milk with 1/3 cup of melted butter. Since this recipe only calls for a half cup of heavy cream I halved that. I used about little less than a 1/2 cup of milk and about 3 T of melted butter. (This could possibly be terribly wrong, because fractions were never my best subject and I have pregnancy brain. But my soup still tasted delicious.) Do not let your mixture sit for too long or it will start to separate like you can see in my lovely photo.

No comments: