Oct 4, 2012

Quiet and Start Something That Matters

Recently I have been seriously contemplating my life. It all started when I read Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie. He is the creator of the shoe Toms. It is an amazing book! I highly recommend it.


As I read, I felt like something was missing in my life. I felt like I lacked his passion, drive, and determination. I used to feel that way about teaching, but right now I feel that I am waiting. Waiting for my baby to come, waiting for my life to change. I know nothing will be the same.

My contemplation continued last week as I read Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Those of you who know me in real life recognize that I am a pretty strong introvert, so reading this book was full of aha moments. Reading Quiet also reinforced some of the principles that I stumbled upon in Blake's book. Susan and Blake both discussed the need to discover what makes you passionate. I've been thinking about that for a while now.

My conclusion?

My passion is my family. I want to be a passionate mother and wife! I realize that a lot of people do not consider those very important endeavors in our modern day world. But I have always wanted to be a mother, a wife, and an educator. I love improving other people's lives. And who could be more important than my family?

In her book, Quiet, Susan discussed the need of honoring your own style and cultivating your own spaces. As a soon to be mother I have been reading and researching like crazy. My husband smiles as I read articles, books, and tips online. I stalk mommy Pinterest Boards. I ask a million questions. And I try to remember everything. (Which is really tough as a pregnant person.) But I know I need to remember this idea the most. I can be the type of mother I want to be. I don't need to copy anyone else.

Both books share the idea of pursuing an activity for it's own sake and not for a reward. Will I be making a ton of money or inspiring millions? No. But I will be changing the lives of my family and the lives of the people they touch. I want to find joy in that journey and live in the moments.

Susan also expressed the need for "deliberate practice," a quiet pursuit of new skills. That is going to be my life once my husband returns to work after paternity leave. I'm excited and scared. I have never been one who chases change and adventure. The only way to learn about motherhood is to try. I have a feeling the learning curve is going to be steep, but I can't wait.

No comments: