Feb 18, 2014

Balancing in Fitness

Part of my goal of being a balanced wife includes adding in some much needed fitness.  Now that my baby is a bit bigger and no longer nursing I feel I can go forward with a little bit more enthusiasm.  I've signed up for two 5K's in the next 3 months.  Because shelling out money for two events might just give me the push I need. Plus I've recruited some friends to run with me.

Now it's time to start training.  I've been using two apps to help me in my journey. The first is well known to runners everywhere. Nike + has been great for encouraging me to run more often. It gives me stats, lets me race friends to a common goal, and gives me a basic guideline to train for a 5K. But it doesn't let me adjust the schedule or give me running/walking intervals.

That's why I use C25K too. It gives you a flexible schedule, running/walking intervals, and it's also free. I start with a 5 minute warm up, run/walk for 20 min, and then cool down for 5 minutes. All it takes is a 30 minute session 3 times a week. The best part? I can run Nike + at the same time to log my speed and distance.

As I run more often, I can run longer, faster, and stronger.  I'm loving how great I feel. Do you have a favorite app?

What else do you do to stay in shape?  This weekend I went on a 20 mile bike ride. I rode up two big hills and lived!  I complained all the way up the hill, but Mr. WB kept cheering me on.  I was so proud of myself.  My efforts to exercise are paying off! Here's a picture from the top of the hill. It was a great day to ride!

No comments: